Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Home made laundry detergent

For those of you who don't know, I have some allergies to all sorts of thing - commercial laundry detergent being top of the list. I had been buying hand crafted laundry soap from the lovely Jodi of Heart J Creations, but after I bought 3 pounds for the shipping price of 1 pound and had it stopped by quarantine because it smelt like fruit (coconut mango scent) and then it got slashed open (likely because it's white powder...) I decided to start making my own.
So, I looked around for a recipe and found Julie of Towards Sustainability.

Just so we're all clear, this is Julie's recipe, not mine. I need you to understand that all I have done is add some scent to it (2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste and 2 teaspoons of coconut essence).

I started with grating 1 bar of generic brand pure soap (did you know that that stuff is actually scented? I did. I had to learn all of this stuff when Ducky was put on an elimination diet). 1 bar makes around 2 cups of grated soap.
I then added 2 cups of nappy soak, 2 cups of Borax and 2 cups of laundry crystals.
I've now washed 2 loads of laundry (using 1 heaped tablespoon per load) and it's coming up unbelievably clean.
I'll be making it again, and adding more scent - it doesn't seem to have much in the way of aroma to it - to help cover up the gods awful smell that kids clothes and hubby's work clothes get.

No comments:

Post a Comment